San Diego, CA 92103
Do any of these describe you?
- I have to manage stress more effectively.
- I have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep.
- I want to grow as a person, but don’t know where to start.
- I wish I could feel less depressed.
- I am struggling with coming out to my family; at work; to myself.
- I can’t seem to make my relationship(s) work.
- I am often exhausted from taking care of everyone’s needs.
- I need to cope and be more productive.
- I want to have better self-esteem, be more confident and stop dwelling on mistakes.
I have been providing psychotherapy and counseling for over 25 years, and am a Licensed Psychologist. Over this time, I have utilized an integration of cognitive-behavioral, humanistic, and psychodynamic approaches. I also draw on principles of positive psychology and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction.
Lesbian and Gay Issues
It may interest you to know that my practice consists of adults, either as individuals or couples. About one third of my practice has been heterosexual clients; two thirds of my clients have been lesbian or gay. I am comfortable working with many types of people, and am trained to assist you in creating the changes you desire in your life.
Whatever you are dealing with, I can best help you if you are willing to:
- learn about yourself
- work on containing destructive impulses
- take good care of your physical self
- look at yourself with honesty
- express yourself, even when it’s tough
- do homework consistently
Lesbian & Gay Issues
Addressing our community’s unique needs, as well as providing an affirmative place to attend to all areas of life:
- Coming Out
- Family Issues
- Dealing with Social Pressures and Social Expectations
- Pre-marital counseling
- Couples Therapy
LGBTQI Resources (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, Intersex)
Many people suffer from sleep problems. About one third of adults have experienced insomnia, and about half of those who report insomnia endure it on a regular, long-term basis.
I have been trained in an insomnia treatment program that was developed and tested at Harvard Medical school. I will teach you how to enhance the sleep system in your brain, thereby helping you to set the stage for sleep to occur more easily. As a cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) approach, we will focus on changing the thoughts and behaviors that are causing your insomnia. CBT has been found to be more effective than sleeping pills, and, in
Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) focuses on how your thoughts about yourself, others, and the world affect the way you feel and behave. Humanistic, psychodynamic, and positive psychology approaches involve developing your ability to better understand, take care of, and appreciate yourself as an individual, with your unique voice and goals. Mindfulness practice can help you reconnect non-judgmentally to the present moment, rather than focus on the pain of the past or the worry about the future. Increased overall happiness is often the result of these modalities.
My approach with you will depend on your specific needs. I have learned that people seeking counseling and psychotherapy are often looking for specific skill sets they may be lacking. Developing such skill sets to meet your specific needs is my specialty.
- 1991 California Psychologist License: #PSY 12173
PhDin Clinical Psychology, California School of Professional Psychology, San Diego, CA
- 1986 MA in Clinical Psychology, California School of Professional Psychology, San Diego, CA
- 1984 BA in Psychology, California State University, Northridge, CA
I am a member of the following associations. Please visit their websites for further information about research and resources related to their specialty topics. Many of them will also send you free information on specific topics if you call and ask.
- Doctoral Dissertation Defense with Honors
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Summa Cum Laude
If you have insurance benefits and wish to use them, please call the phone number on your insurance card and give them my last name so that they can verify my status as a provider for your plan. In this same telephone call to your insurance company, you may want to obtain the following information:
- an authorization number for therapy
- your co-payment (the amount you pay) per session
- the number of sessions you are allowed per year
- your deductible (the amount you may have to pay out of pocket before they begin to pay)
Each insurance company offers a variety of plans. Co-payment amounts, deductibles
If you wish to use your insurance benefits, rather than pay out of pocket, there are a few things you may want to know. The insurance company will require health care providers like myself to provide information in exchange for obtaining payment, thereby limiting your privacy. While insurance plans vary in information requiring disclosure, this information can
To make an appointment or request further information, please call my office voice-mail at 858-694-0057 and leave a message that includes some good times for me to reach you.
My office is located at 106 Thorn Street, in the Hillcrest/Bankers Hill area of San Diego, CA, 92103. Situated on the northeast corner of First Avenue and Thorn Street, my office is on the second floor of a two-story craftsman style house that has been converted to offices.
Street/Curb parking is available for free on Thorn Street and First Avenue. A surprising amount of space is also frequently available on Front Street.